Thursday, May 27, 2010

Reagan's story

I think that it is time that I share with all of my blog followers a little something about my sweet Reagan. I realized the other day that I have failed to mention what we learned about my little girl the day that we left the hospital with her. As I shared earlier we noticed right after she was born that she has four toes on her right foot. This obviously took us by surprise and shock! I was very worried and concerned that she may have other complications. They took her promptly to the nursery. I was not able to spend much time with her right away. I wasn't even able to feed her until I was in my own room. We had a very long day of waiting for the pediatrician to examine her. He didn't come until 9:00 that first night. I was very relieved when he was able to tell me that he believed that it was isolated in only her mid shin down. He ordered x-rays for the next day. I did not know the results of the x ray until day 3 in the hospital. We were packed up and ready to go home when the pediatrician came to discharge us. What came next was quiet a shock. After reviewing the x rays he learned that Reagan was missing her fibula in her right leg. As early as 6 weeks in the womb, for some reason, something went wrong. We don't know why, it just happened. I went through a very emotional next few weeks. I couldn't believe that my little girl had this happen to her. Why her? We have visited Primary Children's Hospital and Shiners Hospital for children. Both places were great to work with. We do not know what we will need to do yet. She is too young to tell and she is sort of in the gray area of knowing what to do. Because she is missing her fibula it causes her leg to be shorter and her foot to be smaller than the other. Because of this it gives us two options. Either to leg lengthen or amputation. Both procedures are hard for me to imagine. We have done a lot of research and a lot of praying. We will be going back to Shriner's in December to do another set of x rays to see how she is growing. Hopefully we will have a clearer answer then. We will make the best decision for Reagan's quality of life. Reagan has brought so much joy and so much strength to me. I hate that this has happened to her, but I can say that I have felt a peace and a strength come over me. I know that our Heavenly Father has heard my prayers. Thank you to those of you who have shown us much love and support. I can also say that my eye's have been opened to a new world and a new perspective on life.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I understand what you are going through....I ask myself that same question even 4 years later about my little Daniel...but he's a special little boy just as I know Reagan is a special little girl, I still don't quite fully understand why this happened, but I know he has been the biggest blessing in my life and I feel blessed that the lord trusted me with his sweet spirit, just as I know the lord has Trusted you with Reagan! Stay strong, and if you need someone to talk to, Please don't hesitate!

Niki Carter said...

Thanks for sharing Di! Can't wait to see more pictures:)

Terra said...

Beautifully written. Reagan has such a beauty to her that just glows from within. She is so lucky to have you for her mommy!

BrittanyB said...

Wow. You are one strong Mommy, and obviously the Lord knows that. Can't wait to hear about Reagan's progress and the joy she will undoubtedly bring to your home ;)

Mindy said...

How stressful! It sounds like you have the best attitude though. Shriner's has done so much for our little nephew, Chet. I hope you have a good experience with them, too. Let me know if you ever want me to watch Sage while you go to appointments!

chris w said...

She's so beautiful and she's so lucky to have such a great mommy!