Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Special Girl

Reagan getting ready for surgery in her scooby doo gown.

Here we are in the holding room, Reagan was pretty sleepy at this point.

Finally I got to hold my baby.

Reagan and her Doctor.

Daddy took Reagan for a wagon ride!

Almost ready to go home!
Surgery day has come and gone.  I can't believe it and I am so relieved that it is over.  We arrived at the hospital on the day of surgery at 7 am.  It was not an easy day.  It was hell day in a lot of ways.  I was emotional from the moment we pulled out of the drive way.  I actually started to talk myself out of everything in my head.  As we took our exit I literally thought, "we could just keep going and run away from it all."  But the reality was that we could not run away.  As much as I knew in my heart and in my mind that Reagan needed to have surgery to amputate her foot it was soooo hard to send her into surgery.  Reagan was an absolute doll.  Everyone fell in love with her at the hospital.  Nurses would come to our room just to see her because they heard how beautiful she is.  Everyone involved in taking care of Reagan was amazing.  I felt so much support and so much love.  I could not have done this without all of the love from my family and friends.  I thank all of you for your phone calls and hugs.  Reagan is doing great.  She doesn't even act like she just had surgery.  She is crawling everywhere like usual and is as happy as she always has been.  We follow up with the Doctor on the 17th, meet with the Prosthesis department, fit her for a prosthetic in 5 weeks, and then get her leg soon after.  Sage is taking this all pretty well.  She is still trying to understand what has happened.  She has many questions.  I figure we just take it one day at a time.  There is one thing that I have learned through all of this, "TRUST in the Lord with all thine heart."  I have had complete faith in the Lord through all of this and I know that He has carried me along the way.     

8 comments:

Brittany said...

What an Amazing girl. I can't even imagine how hard that would be as a mother. She is very lucky to have you! Hope things continue to go well. She is DARLING!!

Niki Carter said...

I wish I could be there with you in person. I am so proud of you for handling all of this. I am so glad that this part is behind you.

The Reimers Family said...

What an amazing journey. It is hard to completely put your trust into someone else's hands, but like you said, the Lord will take care of it. I am glad that the surgery is over and you can move on. She is such a beautiful baby. I am sending you a big hug!

Unknown said...

She is going to thank you for everything someday. I know that I would! It's hard to think of an amputation as a blessing, but if you could just see Bailee Iorg... I didn't even notice she had a prosthetic foot for the first few months that they lived in our ward because she was always happily running around everywhere. I really look up to you for being so strong through this trial, Diana!
I can't wait to meet Reagan this summer.

Shelley said...

I am so incredibly proud of you! You are my hero Diana.

Terra said...

The picture of you holding Reagan after surgery instantly brought tears to my eyes. Reagan is such a beautiful, strong and lucky little girl to have you for her mommy. You have been such a rock and an inspiration to us all as you have gone through so much these past few months.

So good to see you today. Cruz kept saying, "Bye, Reagan. Bye." half the way home. Who says arranged marraiges aren't cool? :)Can't wait to see the fabric you find for Reagan!

chris w said...

I can just see the nurses coming in to see her. She really is so beautiful and sweet.

You are amazing and so strong and she is so lucky to have you.

I can't wait to see you!! :)

rachel said...

You did it! I'm proud of you. I know how hard it is. I remember so strongly the pain and fear of not knowing what life is like after the amputation and I now know of the pure joy of just loving your little girl and no longer worrying about the actual surgery. Most of the time I forget that Bailee is any different from any other child. I think the worst part is the month's leading up to the surgery and dreading it. Now it's time for new and different challenges like the time the dog ate Bailee's leg... or Have you had the last minute moments of looking for shoe's for Sage right before church and only finding one? Well wait till your looking for the leg! Bailee would hide her leg sometimes in the toy box and I would be so frustrated.
Call me every now and then no matter what. Even if you just need to vent about how your feeling I'm here for you!