Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Diana's Elk Hunt


After the much anticipated limited entry elk hunt in southern Utah, we have finally made it home with a monster bull elk. (I know right, I hunt! Crazy I know!) This hunt would not have been possible with the help of many people! Scott put a ton of time and work into making this an enjoyable hunt for me. We stayed in a ranch house with our two kids and with the help of my wonderful niece Megan and her little baby Brighton we were able make it a family friendly hunt! The hunt started Saturday morning. We left the house on foot at 6:00 in the morning. We walked in the dark no more than a mile from the house, set up, and waited for the bull elk. Our friend Ben, whose ranch house we were staying at predicted that the elk would be down in the oat fields and would make their way right in front of us. Sure enough they were there. We waited and a little after 7:00 a.m. here they came in single file line cow, cow, cow, bull. There he was. You could imagine that my heart was racing at this point. Here I was, with 3 guys that are die hard hunters, and the hunt being filmed, I was definitely feeling the pressure. I asked Scott about 3 times if he wanted me to shoot! Are you sure you want me to shoot?!! Yes, he says this is definitely a shooter. So I zeroed in on him and after one shot he was hit. It really is a crazy experience. Scott is pretty proud of me! It was the easiest hunt I have ever been on. We were back at the house by 11. The rest of the weekend we fished, relaxed, and went on a 4 wheel ride. We had a great weekend!

10 comments:

jordan said...

WOAH! That is a huge Elk! You look like one tough chick behind it. SO FUN!

Brittany said...

Holy crap that Elk is HUGE!!! I think it is cool that you hunt. I bet your husband loves it!!

Your little one is getting so big. She is darling!

Mandy said...

Ummm.....elko stew, elk jerky, elk burgers, elk cereal......

chris w said...

I'm dittoing Brittany. Holy crap! That thing is huge! I'm glad it ended up being enjoyable for you. Now on to the girl's cruise, right? ;)

Terra said...

HOLY. CRAP. That Elk is ginormous! Hope you feel good about killing Bambi's super-hero-action-figure. :)

Julie said...

Wow Diana! Way to go! Holy cow...I mean Bull! I'm sure your heart was pounding pretty fast.

Niki Carter said...

Poor poor elkie:(

Elder Tanner said...

Todd is very impressed with that Elk! Your girls are sooooo cute!!!

Shelley said...

Can I just say, "I'm not worthy!" You totally rock Di! I am so proud. Feeling a little badly for the 3 cows who just lost their sugar daddy though - haha

Mindy said...

Wahoo! Nice bull, Diana! Seriously. I have hunted my whole life, and you have taken more trophies than me. Nice work! :) It sounded like a cadillac hunt, too! I'm so glad you had so much fun.